Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
this and that
I had intended to send a PM to Jafs, to clear the air, but as he's intent upon putting me on his ignore list, preventing any PM from reaching him, I'll go this route.

I left this forum over a year ago, bemoaning the loss of one poster after another.  That and the fact no new members were joining meant our numbers were approaching zero.  Add the ignore list and this forum was headed towards oblivion.  It saddened me.

I looked in from time to time, saw no new members, meaning no reason to jump back in, and went about my business.  But something struck me as odd.  For more than a year, no new members joined.  No new members even tried to join.  In this vast wide internet world, was it really possible that no one on the planet really wanted to join?  I'm no techie, just the opposite, but something didn't smell right.  So I picked up my wife's computer, chose a new user name, new password and tried to join.  The sign up page wouldn't allow that.  So I tried again.  And again.  Each time my attempt to join was rejected.  So I signed in for the first time in a year and sent a PM to Liberty telling him of the problem.  He fixed it and now we have Enforcer, "Desk", Space Hog, a return of Jess (yea!), hopefully more and a whole bunch of spamming bots (sorry about that).  The point is, I still cared enough about this forum that I want to see it thrive.

Besides all the insults and ignoring, another thing that threatens the vitality of this forum is old vendettas, precisely the reason for my PM to Jafs.  Very quickly, Jafs, you said I was non-responsive to your points and that continued non-responsiveness would hinder the conversation.  Just as quickly I pointed out that I had indeed responded and that it was you, Jafs, who were being non-responsive to my questions.  The point is that the accusation was a reflex on your part.  An old habit.  It didn't have to be true.  It wasn't true.  Just force of habit.  Similar to the old vendettas we see too often here that as I said, are a threat to the forum.  You then went on to say you wouldn't answer my questions despite you asking them, accusing me of playing some game.  Of course, that accusation was nothing more than another of your old reflexes.  Again, truth isn't necessary for the accusation to be made.  Truth wasn't there.  Just the old accusation.  The old reflex.  You then go on to accuse me of hostility.  Now that one has some truth.  Having been falsely accused once, then again and again, a tone of hostility might be what you should expect.  But be clear, this all came about because of your false accusations.  And now you hide behand the ignore function.

As I said, I had intended this to be a PM to Jafs.  Now it's out in the open.  That said, I think this forum needs to take a look at disabling the ignore function in the same way it needs to look at ways to let old vendettas go.  I suspect Enforcer may be gone and if so we should all ponder why that was.  The treatment Desk got was obscene and many here owe her an apology.  Jafs, you owe me one as well.  And for my hostile response, I offer one as well.  

I'm hopeful many new members join and this site becomes the thriving site we hoped it would become when we moved here.  

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.  
We're glad you're back.  When I say 'we,' I mean me because I can't speak for others, but I virtually certain there's more than just me who's glad about it, so I'll stick with 'we.'

Point of order.  Spacehog & Jess aren't back because of any tweaking of the registration process because they were already members, so registering again wasn't necessary.  I take that back sorta.  The hog signed up as a new member, but he could have revisited under an old username if he wanted, because it's still active.  I guess he chose to use Spacehog since that's the name to whom RD gave a shout.  Anyway, glad you notified the kahuna about the registration problems.  It could very well lead to more new members.  We shall see.

There are lotsa different viewpoints & personalities & writing styles & various interests on here.  It's all good.  More importantly, it's just entertainment.  Sometimes folks post some things that get under my skin & when I react angrily to those things, I regret it way more often than not because it just fosters more bad joojoo.  Therefore, I'm trying harder, if I feel the need to respond, to do so calmly or sarcastically or humorously or any way at all except angrily.  I'm sure I'll fail spectacularly once in a while, but I hope not too often. 

BABBOY, where are you?  I would love to have HWMNBN'd on here.  Marion was interesting.

Natural selection will never favor Evangelical misfits

I like cooking in a pressure cooker.  Its fast.
"For if man has lost his freedom, and is forced to serve sin, and cannot will good, what conclusion can more justly be drawn concerning him, than that he sins and wills evil necessarily" - Martin Luther.
(04-19-2016, 12:52 PM)'autie' Wrote: BABBOY, where are you?  I would love to have HWMNBN'd on here.  Marion was interesting.

Agree. Wish they'd both come on here -even if one of my posts re: the Kentucky Derby resulted in Marioni getting booted from LJW. Grey Goose: come back, come back. I never meant to get you kicked off there but you did it to yourself!

You are the wind beneath my wings, otherwise known as turbulence.
Couple of things: First thanks to anybody who has defended me in any way. Gosh... that's always a nice feeling.

Second, I've never left a site because people are mean to me.  Smile

Third, sometimes I get pushy myself... or maybe I just get tired of certain attitudes and I start to see them as just not up to snuff in some ways and I let that show. But I'm usually very on the point with that... no pussyfooting around. Well... just to say... I don't see myself as little miss prissy pants who is being picked on the big bad bullies. Usually I just see THEM as big bad bullies, but me as someone who's important enough to bully just to shirt me up.  [img]images/smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Fourth, I've never been to a site where politics are debated that they were not HOTLY debated. Most places actually tend to meltdown because of political debate. But most places are popular because of political debates. Boring can get hard to take, and "What do y'all want from newbies?" can be a very boring topic if that's as interesting as it gets. 

I see a lot of interesting stuff going on here. 

I will go out on a limb and make a tiny suggestion: Put the political discussions in a specific area, and don't let anybody talk politics outside of that area. It's a thought, at any rate. People, then, should need permission to join the political office.  Then, throw the rules out. Or keep one or two... no threats of physical harm and nothing illegal (you know, like stealing someone else's copyrighted words)  Otherwise you can go as ugly as you want and no words are forbidden. You'll find that the political office will be hot almost all the time... but will have meltdowns from time to time... and then it'll resurrect itself and start over.

Or... just leave it as it is, and realize that without the political debate, you will lose people out of a certain level of boredom.

My suggestion comes from a writers' site I have belonged to since about 1997. They started out with politics open. Wow, didn't take but about 3 years to find out that wasn't going to work. They had to make a special office for politics and forbid it outside the walls of that office. It melted down 2 or 3 times and soon was re-started and is still the most popular place on the site.  After 9/11 it got so bad they had to create that special place for politics some people call Hell. Many members have never joined the political office. I'm one of about 5 moderators there and there really isn't much to do... because of few rules. Everybody there knows they have to be tough enough to take it or just don't join.

E!NOUGH! I stop now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
You guys are like old family together and I'm such a newby. 

I should just sit and observe for a while. It's like going to a family reunion and hogging the attention when some of you just want to talk to Aunt Sue or Uncle Bill about family things. 

I like the feeling I get from you guys here... how you miss old members and so on. It must have been a good place for you. No sense in letting it go.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
As over on the now nearly defunct LJW (due to an exceedingly liberal bias and mods)  here on L/U while somewhat better in my opinion, being a vocal conservative presents many challenges. In other words, you're under a constant microscope; everything you say (much no better or worse than what a liberal may say) is scrutinzed under a much higher degree. That will be all.