Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sources vs. experience
Let me tell you all a story, not true, but it surely could have been.  Last Sunday morning, my wife and I were sharing a cup of coffe in the living room.  She casually asked; "what's the weather outside?"  So I went ouside, stood in our front lawn and took a deep breath.  I held my arms out wide, looked to the sky and concluded it was a beautiful day.  I went back inside to tell my wife.  While I was outside, she picked up the computer and looked at the National Weather Service's web site and got the exact temperature, wind speed, direction, etc.  Knowing those are taken out by the airport and perhaps are slightly different than in town, she looked at the LJW site which also gives the temperature and she turned on channel 2 which gives the weather.  

So which approach is better?  Well, in my opinion, neither is better than the other.  Both are equally valid ways of answering the question.  The  reason I bring this up is that there seems to be two ways to approach questions in forums such as this.  One valid way is to draw upon your experience and using that, answer the question at hand.  Another approach is to seek out sources to guide you in your search for answers.  I prefer the former approach, drawing upon my experiences to answer questions or to explain my world view.  Others prefer to get their information from other sources.  I grant that gathering information from souces is a valid approach.  I do not concede that drawing upon experiences is less valid.  

Opinions?

Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.  
Sometimes direct experience is an excellent source of information, as in going outside to see what the weather's like.

Other times, it's not as good - it looks like the sun revolves around the earth, but we know it doesn't, because of evidence/science.

And, using a narrow personal experience to generalize far beyond that area is often a bad idea if you want an accurate view - for example, the fact that it's beautiful outside your door doesn't mean the weather's great in other locations.

(05-14-2016, 10:50 AM)'jafs 2' Wrote: Sometimes direct experience is an excellent source of information, as in going outside to see what the weather's like.

Other times, it's not as good - it looks like the sun revolves around the earth, but we know it doesn't, because of evidence/science.

And, using a narrow personal experience to generalize far beyond that area is often a bad idea if you want an accurate view - for example, the fact that it's beautiful outside your door doesn't mean the weather's great in other locations.

I'll follow up on a comment I made in another thread.  You often speak with some authority on issues involving the DD community.  Are your comments less valid if I or someone else posted a cherry picked source?  

It reminds me of the joke of the wife who walks into the bedroom to find her husband in bed with another woman.  He then asks the wife; "who ya gonna believe, me or your lyin' eyes"?  

If your wife has worked with the DD community for years and then has come home with story after story, why should that be any less valid than my years of experience, unless you simply don't want to believe me.  Which would be odd, if you expect people to believe you.  

I answered on the other thread, but I'll do it here as well.

From your posts, you had some experience with social services in SF many years ago.  That would give you great authority to speak about those.  But it certainly doesn't mean that your general conclusions about social services in KS now would be accurate, if things are different in KS now than they were in SF then. And, if things are different now in SF, it would be similar.

My wife's experiences are with DD services in KS for the last 30 years of so - that makes them a good source of information about those.  I wouldn't use them to generalize about DD services in other states, because those services differ from state to state.

Medicaid generally gives states a lot of leeway about how to structure the programs - according to a government employee, it's written into the law. That means that Medicaid programs can be vastly different depending on what state you live in, and it would be silly to make broad declarations about Medicaid across the nation based on KS programs.

And, there are matters of perspective as well - I don't always agree with the way my wife may frame things, and we discuss them until I can get a clear sense of the reality separate from her possible biases. 

If we're looking for the "best" way... I'd say both or all ways possible.

But if we go to that degree we might want to wait until the question involves something of great import. 

One thing the internet has shown me is that there will be every answer possible, depending on who you ask. So these days we have a lot more sources for answers, but we have to work harder to figure out which one is right.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
 I for one would get my own cup of coffee. I ain't sharing no cup of coffee with the Spousal Unit. She adulterates the stuff with foo foo shirt.
"For if man has lost his freedom, and is forced to serve sin, and cannot will good, what conclusion can more justly be drawn concerning him, than that he sins and wills evil necessarily" - Martin Luther.
My husband has his own coffeemaker. He knows how to use it. I don't. But I will clean it up if I see it's lookin' bad.  And to be honest, I don't think he even notices when it's dirty or clean. I mean... he never notices when he's left bread crumbs on the cabinet and they're far easier to see than a few coffee splashes on the coffee maker. 

Ah, but he's pretty awesome in all the ways that count.

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
(05-14-2016, 12:00 PM)'PleaseReportToTheFrontDesk' Wrote: One thing the internet has shown me is that there will be every answer possible, depending on who you ask. So these days we have a lot more sources for answers, but we have to work harder to figure out which one is right.

I absolutely agree with that statement.  

Which leads to paralysis by analysis.  Or is it confirmation bias?  

Here's where it gets confusing for me.  If we were in a court of law, there would be long established rules for what gets put into evidence, what juries may or may not consider, what standard of proof, etc.  If we were within a scientific community there would be standards for publication, peer reviews, responses to those criticisms.  

Here, it seems we all get to pick and choose what rules apply at any given time and it's a moving target whenever we like.  On another thread someone asked for evidence, as if any standard of evidence even exists in forums like this.  

I think we're all aware of Richard Heckler, who used to be a member of this community and is now at the LJW.  I still read those threads.  I never read his links.  Of course, he's an absurd exception, posting the same links, hundreds of times.  Frankly, when I see his name, I skip his posts.  

I do the same here, sort of.  If someone posts the word HERE as if by me clicking it and I'll be taken to some link.  Well, I don't.  Because I have no interest.  I'm interested in what you have to say, as individuals.  I have little or no interest in checking out your links, especially a blind link.  I'm very interested in what you individually have to say.  

Anyway, that's my opinion.  

In asking someone to do some research, we might do some good if they did because there is a lot of good stuff to know out there on the net. The problem is in the "know" part. I've found that snopes.com can be helpful. 

The one thing I don't want to see when I tell someone who believes differently from me "here's a link to the truth" is for that link to be to what is seen by the right as a left leaning site. I want it to come from a right leaning site if possible because otherwise they won't believe it.  They may not anyway. 

But after I've vetted the sites with the info on it, I still need to vet the information they're giving out. What kind of expert are they and where did they get that information.  And you can go back a thousand years and a hundred "experts" deep and never know that you have found definitive evidence of a truth.

Sadly, I say. Because I want to KNOW the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. 

This problem, btw, didn't just crop up with the internet.

The first I'd heard of it was in revisionist history... and that includes history textbooks we studied in school and college.

I grew up in the south. What I learned about the Civil War and what people not in the south learned could be very different. Sometimes it's not lies or mistakes, but simply a dearth of information.

Back in the 40's and forward, the Civil War was (and still is for some) still being fought. Textbooks in my junior high and high school likely went further into the details of the war and why it was fought, but teachers seldom went deeply into the topic. They would have been courting anger from some parents if they had.

If you think the anger we see here in Kansas from parents who don't want their kids taught sex education or creation is no greater than you'd have heard from my father if you'd taught some of the things about the Civil War that I've learned since high school.