Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are there any good trades people in Lawrence?
Since it's Sunday and we have agreed to get along with ya'll for this one day out of the week, I'd  like to discuss the seeming shortage of good, reliable trades people in Larryville.  You know, the kind that take pride in their work and give their customers quality work.

Due to worsening health issues in the last 3 or 4 years, it has become necessary for me to hire out a lot of work I used to do myself, i.e. landscaping, deck repairs, roofing repairs, etc.  We recently contracted with a local landscaper to do a significant amout of landscaping and deck repairs.  I attempted to contact him back in February before the flowers and vines began crawling up the lattice work surrounding our deck since I wanted the lattice work repaired/replaced and stained.  He did not reply until late March and we reached an agreement on March 28.  It has been one big clusterf*uck ever since that time.  We had chicken wire about 12'' high along the bottom of our fence to keep the friggin' rabbits from squeezing through and breaking it.  Immediately he complained that he would not remove and replace the chicken wire without adding about $450 to our bill.  Since I have health issues, my wife had to go out and remove the chicken wire for this turkey.  I had about 5 gallons of thick deck paint that I provided for his use.  He now claims that he had to buy an additional 8 gallons of paint because the old wood just soaked it up.  Further, he attempted to use a spray gun for application which is not a good idea considering the thickness of the solid stain he was using.  His sprayer kept plugging up and he did'nt even try to protect the flowers and plants that were beginning to grow around the fence.  He also managed to spray paint on the siding of our sun room which is a light yellow and doesn't blend well with the brown solid stain he was rushing to apply.  He came over to putty and paint on a day when the weatherman forecasted 90% chance of rain claiming that he heard 3 different forecasts and they all said no rain.  I was at work and my wife asked him to call me before he began.  I argued with him, but let him proceed based on the understanding that he would accept liability if it rained and the paint failed.  He no sooner got the putty work done and it began raining.  Naturally, the putty cracked and he refused to repair it and painted over it.  He balked at repacing some of the lattice work and I am quite certain the the top rails and decking did not receive two coats of paint per agreement.  If so, he missed serval spots twice.  Many more issues with this part of the job, but surely you get the idea by now.

We have a couple of trees with exposed roots that are unsightly and we contracted with him to cut the roots and fill over with dirt and sod.  These two trees are on a slope in the yard and when it rains, water runs from higher ground right over the location of these two trees.  Last Thursday afternoon, without warning, he showed up to do this job despite severe storm warnings and 100% chance of rain.  I came home around 5:00Pm to find  him and his helpers racing to get the job done before it rained!  He wouldn't even stop to talk with me.  Needlesss to say the 3.5 inches of rain we received later that evening and overnight washed out the dirt and sod and I have no idea how much dirt was washed into the french drain that was near and on the downhill side of the trees.

This Sombeech has made a mudhole out of my backyard, done crappy work on my deck and wants to be paid for other work he has done.  I don't trust him and believe he may walk away if I pay him without fixing his screw up.

Can anyone recommend a good landscaper, carpenter and/or roofer in the Lawrence area who will do quality work at a resonable price.  I also need a handyman for small jobs.

"you can give-up, give-in, or you can give it all ya' got!"
I'd check with the Better Business Bureau to see if anybody else has complained about him, and in doing that you might hear about someone better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
I can't find out anything about him on the net as he apparently doesn't even maintain a web site.  He came highly recommended by neighbors and that's the reason I hired him.  I believe he has taken on too much work since he has strung our work out over the last couple of months and shows up sporadically without notice.  Often when the weather forecast is not good for the kind of work he needs to do.
"you can give-up, give-in, or you can give it all ya' got!"
My main money job is a trade.  I'm forking awsome at it. I cost more than your family practitioner though.  You get what you pay for.

There are pros and then there are guys that sorta know how to do it.  They cost less and if that's all you can afford you sort of just take what you can get.

A pro can perform his trade on demand and get it done right the first time, fast.  The other guys are still learning but they need a job too.

Winner.
Winner.

Chicken Dinner.

One time I traded a PB&J sandwich on Wonder for a twinke.
Pretty sure I came out of that trade shorted.

"For if man has lost his freedom, and is forced to serve sin, and cannot will good, what conclusion can more justly be drawn concerning him, than that he sins and wills evil necessarily" - Martin Luther.
(07-01-2016, 12:32 PM)'Liberty' Wrote: My main money job is a trade.  I'm [censored] awsome at it. I cost more than your family practitioner though.  You get what you pay for.

There are pros and then there are guys that sorta know how to do it.  They cost less and if that's all you can afford you sort of just take what you can get.

A pro can perform his trade on demand and get it done right the first time, fast.  The other guys are still learning but they need a job too.

Was looking back up the thread and saw this.

It coincides some (I think) with something my grandson and I were talking about this morning. About professions, since he's just starting college. Knowing him as well as I do I suggested he be a teacher so he can get summers off to trek around  Asia in search of Buddha. But he's not interested in teaching.

Here's the question, and if I'm right, you likely would know something about this.

How much difference in Kansas  IN SALARY would a person just out of college make if their college was Vanderbilt U and their grades were very high -- vs -- someone who went to Vo Tech here in Kansas to learn computer programming? 

If they remained in Kansas, both students? What's the spread between what each of them can expect to earn?  Assuming neither had their own startups, but possibly worked for startups... or just in business?

Big spread? or moderate? or possibly none, if both were smart, driven, and personable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.