Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Turkish Military Coup
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/turk...id=SL5IDHP

This will definitely affect international relationships. Do you think things will be better since the coup has apparently been thwarted? Or will things be worse under President Tayyip Erdogan. It has been reported that Erdogan is imposing a dictatorship and converting citizens to fundamental Islamic tenets under Sharia. Naturally, 'Bummer and Hitlery are supporting Erdogan.
"you can give-up, give-in, or you can give it all ya' got!"
(07-16-2016, 04:14 PM)'BornAgainAmerican' Wrote: http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/turk...id=SL5IDHP

This will definitely affect international relationships. Do you think things will be better since the coup has apparently been thwarted? Or will things be worse under President Tayyip Erdogan. It has been reported that Erdogan is imposing a dictatorship and converting citizens to fundamental Islamic tenets under Sharia. Naturally, 'Bummer and Hitlery are supporting Erdogan.

Erdogan was democractically elected to his position. The U.S. should support nations that do this. We don't have to like the results. There are plenty of countries who are not happy with the results when U.S. Presidents are elected.

Quick quiz for you... which country does the U.S. unconditionally support both politically & financially that also recognizes and allows Sharia law?

"Some people have a way with words. Others...oh...not have way." - Steve Martin
The quick answer would be Saudi Arabia of course.  Why do you find it necessary to quiz me?

The US should support the regime that is in the world community's best interest.  Do you really believe that another Islamic Calliphate is a good idea.  If so, why?

(07-16-2016, 05:01 PM)'BornAgainAmerican' Wrote: The quick answer would be Saudi Arabia of course.  Why do you find it necessary to quiz me?

Incorrect! Although Saudi Arabia is a good try. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Quote:One of the Middle East countries that officially endorses sharia as a legal system is one of Gingrich’s most favored countries, Israel, which is, by his lights—and mine—a crucial component of Western civilization. Israel’s sharia courts, which are supervised by the Ministry of Justice, allow the more than 15 percent of Israel’s population that is Muslim to seek religious recourse for their personal dilemmas. These courts have been in operation since Israel’s founding, and yet the country does not seem to have been fatally undermined by their existence. Israel’s sharia courts raise complicated mosque-state questions (and the power of the Israeli rabbinate raises complicated synagogue-state questions) but, so far, Western civilization, in its Israeli democratic manifestation, seems to be holding on.

http://www.theatlantic.com/international...ia/491471/

Why not quiz you? Quizzes are fun!
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/...z-map.html

(07-16-2016, 05:04 PM)'BornAgainAmerican' Wrote: The US should support the regime that is in the world community's best interest.  Do you really believe that another Islamic Calliphate is a good idea.  If so, why?

Nope. I don't believe we get to be the deciders of what is best for the world. We haven't figured out what is best for us. Meddling in the ME is what has led up to this.

(07-16-2016, 05:11 PM)'Gern Blanston' Wrote: Incorrect! Although Saudi Arabia is a good try. [img]images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Why not quiz you? Quizzes are fun!
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2013/...z-map.html

That was a trick question.  I suppose it's fair to say Israel recognizes and allows Sharia, but a quick google reveals that Sharia is a religious court and subserviant to the Jewish courts in matters of law.  It appears that the Sharia courts are concerned primarily with family matters so can you say Sharia is practiced as the law of the land.  I think not.  Not in teh same way Sharia is practiced in Saudi Arabia.

(07-16-2016, 05:15 PM)'Gern Blanston' Wrote: Nope. I don't believe we get to be the deciders of what is best for the world. We haven't figured out what is best for us. Meddling in the ME is what has led up to this.

I have to disagree.  As members of the world community, we get to decide who we will support.  And it does not look to be in our best interests to support a regime who one day may want to attack us.

(07-16-2016, 05:41 PM)'BornAgainAmerican' Wrote: That was a trick question.  I suppose it's fair to say Israel recognizes and allows Sharia, but a quick google reveals that Sharia is a religious court and subserviant to the Jewish courts in matters of law.  It appears that the Sharia courts are concerned primarily with family matters so can you say Sharia is practiced as the law of the land.  I think not.  Not in teh same way Sharia is practiced in Saudi Arabia.

Still funded and encouraged by the Israeli government.

The U.S. does allow groups to practice religious law and we haven't collapsed. Are you familiar with Borough Park and Williamsburg, Brooklyn or Kiryas Joel?

Sharia courts also cover contract law.

(07-16-2016, 05:45 PM)'BornAgainAmerican' Wrote: I have to disagree.  As members of the world community, we get to decide who we will support.  And it does not look to be in our best interests to support a regime who one day may want to attack us.

Nope. As members of the world community we can offer our opinion as to what we believe to be best for the world. We don't get to decide what is best for the world.

We've supported regimes that have dicked us over many times. It is my belief that they have done so because they had grown tired of our demands and our decisions on their behalf, all of which were in their best interest, of course.[img]images/smilies/wink.gif[/img]