Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
How has everyone's garden doing?
I wasn't able to put mine in due to all the rain early on so I did containers. Pepper and tomatoes are not doing well and I am disappointed.

"Some people have a way with words. Others...oh...not have way." - Steve Martin
(07-17-2016, 08:42 PM)'Riverdrifter' Wrote: Want some sweet corn?

Mmmmmmmmm... sweet corn.
[Image: 9czz.jpg]

I have not been successful in harvesting corn here. It grows wonderfully but I have a raccoon who has managed to beat me to the harvest every year.

Snow pease came and went.  All gone by the end of May.  I am buried in hot banana peppers and jalapenos.  Tomatoes are so/so.  I was disappointed in the summer squash.  I only harvested a few so far but had many that developed the funk rot on the end.  Moisture I reckon.  The turtles enjoy it.  The pole beans on the fence took off great and we got quite a few then they just flat turned off.  Too hot.  They will be back when the mornings cool down a bit.   We have a ton of herbs.  Oregano/basil/sage/chives/cilantro/garlic

verum tuae sui
When we both wait and dream about that first ripe garden tomato, and every day we report on what it looks like and how many days until we can have that tomato... and we get up the day it should be perfect and the tomato is on the ground, what's left of it... you begin to see little rabbits and squirrels that you love as some sort of cruel sadistic torture murderers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
(07-17-2016, 08:30 PM)'Gern Blanston' Wrote: I wasn't able to put mine in due to all the rain early on so I did containers. Pepper and tomatoes are not doing well and I am disappointed.

Topped off the soil mix at the beginning of the year and just realized that we'd forgotten to add compost, so we started using fish fertilizer this week. I did get a large batch of radishes, though, and the strawberries are still producing. I got a good bunch of green beans. One tomato plant is full of fruit, and the other is blooming, but so far none are ripe. 
Is the kind of heat we're having now bad for your gardens? I don't believe I've ever heard one way or the other. 

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
(07-19-2016, 08:33 PM)'PleaseReportToTheFrontDesk' Wrote: Is the kind of heat we're having now bad for your gardens? I don't believe I've ever heard one way or the other. 

Probably not if you keep them watered. My problem was that everytime I wanted to plant in my garden, we'd have tons of rain and I ended up putting them in pots instead. I've not done container gardening before so there is probably something I didn't do right.

Talking about watering plants took me back to the cotton farms of my earliest years.

Of course back then crops didn't get watered unless it rained.  But I do recall planes flying low over the cotton and dumping boll weevil repellant. Was it ddt? 

Then at night we'd sit on the porch and close up all the windows, spray ddt all over the house, then go in and sleep under mosquito nets on bedding that was layered with ddt. 

Them was the good ole days. 

(07-19-2016, 10:37 PM)'Gern Blanston' Wrote: Probably not if you keep them watered. My problem was that everytime I wanted to plant in my garden, we'd have tons of rain and I ended up putting them in pots instead. I've not done container gardening before so there is probably something I didn't do right.

I've never done tomatoes in a pot. We have raised beds.  

(07-20-2016, 12:18 AM)'chootspa' Wrote: I've never done tomatoes in a pot. We have raised beds.  

I had raised beds but after awhile those break down and rot. I just use concrete blocks to section off the garden now. Plus, I can plant bug & bunny repellent plants in the holes of the blocks.

I actually have them in buckets similar to the ones in the picture. You have to drill holes in the bottom for drainage.
[Image: 0.jpg]

Also, if you are interested and have limited space, you can do square foot gardening with your raised beds.

http://squarefootgardening.org/square-fo...ing-method