Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Poll: What about the sit-in at the LCC meeting?
Bunch of bullies
I support their actions
Should've been arrested
I support their causes, not their actions
Or this: see comments
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walk right in and sit right down
What's your take on the sit-in that occurred during the Lawrence City Commission meeting on Tuesday night?
Help me understand exactly how this accomplishes anything.
Peaceful acts of civil disobedience are a time honored tradition in the U.S.  That said, I don't understand the point of doing it at the Lawrence City Commission meeting.
Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Iamme1's post:
  • CWGOKU
I will draft a letter supporting solidarity behind making steak and a blow job day an everyday occurrence.
"For if man has lost his freedom, and is forced to serve sin, and cannot will good, what conclusion can more justly be drawn concerning him, than that he sins and wills evil necessarily" - Martin Luther.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RETICENT_IRREVERENT's post:
  • CWGOKU
The poll doesn't include an option like this:

I support their causes AND their actions.

That's my choice.

My reason is that, when it matters as much to you as it does to them, then you want your voice to be heard. You can call the newspaper and rant but it won't see the front page. Most people will never hear about it. It also won't be on the evening news. 

What you don't want to do is something that actually harms another person. You want to do something safe for everyone, but attention-getting.

Their choice of action got them attention. 

I will suggest that they are fully aware that some of the attention is negative, but some is also positive -- many people will agree with them when they hear the entire story... the whys, not just the whats. 

So, imo, they have a good cause, and they chose a successful method. 

Disclaimer: My entire immediate family is Native American-- each one of the five of them are enrolled members of the Citizens Potawatomi Nation based in Shawnee, Oklahoma -- and I understand that NA's have a higher percentage of being killed by the police than black people. But there are so few of them, nobody notices.  That's what I've been told, at any rate. I don't worry on a personal level about that because my "five little Indians" are all well-educated and were raised with a measure of financial and social security -- a whole lot of "just obey the damned laws" requirements. They were not born into poverty, with no hope, and no peer pressure to act out.  Nevertheless, I do support the cause because I do believe, when the shirt hits the fan, black people's lives and Indian lives are not considered important enough to do a good, in-depth investigation and ultimately to hold the rogue cop responsible. They are given a great deal of protection even when they're guilty of bad things. The Blue Wall is what we currently call Hillary's far better electoral college prospects than Donald's; but it's also what we call the Blue Wall that separates cops from being held accountable for anything wrong they may do.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
"Or this: see comments" is for any option not specifically spelled out, therefore all possible options are included in the poll.
(09-07-2016, 12:05 PM)rockchalker52 Wrote: "Or this: see comments" is for any option not specifically spelled out, therefore all possible options are included in the poll.

I know. That's why I put it down here.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
(09-07-2016, 11:29 AM)RETICENT_IRREVERENT Wrote: I will draft a letter supporting solidarity behind making steak and a blow job day an everyday occurrence.

No lobster? Have you not heard of surf & turf???
You are the wind beneath my wings, otherwise known as turbulence.
I guess they had their opportunity to speak in the public comment section of the meeting.  Then returned for the sit in portion.  It was all good in the end.  I am not sure what they thought they might accomplish other than making their positions known.  It is not going to change much.  In the long run the pipeline will be built.  They might reroute some of it.  Same sh*t different day.
Natural selection will never favor Evangelical misfits