Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Meatloaf!
In the year of our Lard, Nineteen Hundred and Seventy-Two, BC Betty Crocker.  And She appeared to present thee with thy 17th rendition of the WholeLeek Scripture.

.jpg   aloaf11.JPG (Size: 62.16 KB / Downloads: 43)

"Use thy Gospel with reverence," She commanded, "and do not loaf except with thy meat.  Heed thine ingredients within, and then adjust them accordingly to satisfy thy culinary soul."

So who was I to argue with the Mystical Maven of the Middle American Menu?  I got right to it.  Page 260.  Meat Loaf & Variations - the key word being variations.  That's carte blanche right there to do as I saw fit.  One would be short-sighted, though, to discount the wisdom of the Betty, so I settled on these ingredients:

.jpg   aloaf.JPG (Size: 55.03 KB / Downloads: 41)

One 5 lb. chub of ground beef, 73% lean
Two 1 lb. packages of ground pork
One & a half cups of plain, dry bread crumbs
One & a half cups of milk
Two eggs, beaten
One small white onion, diced
One & a half teaspoons salt
One-half teaspoon each of:
Black Pepper
Garlic Salt
Celery Salt
Dry Mustard
Sage
Two to Three tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce

The initial step is to prep & ready the ingredients.  Dice the onion.  Combine the spices.  Pour the milk.  Beat the eggs.  Measure the milk and the bread crumbs.  Have the woozie sauce at the ready.  And get that meat ready for mixing.

.jpg   aloaf4.JPG (Size: 53.87 KB / Downloads: 39)

Strangle that meat like it's still alive.  Use both hands.  None of this mixing with a spoon business.  There's only one hand in the picture because this blog is a product of Selfie Productions. That's right, the camera was in the other hand.  Choke that meat.  Mix it.  Mix it good. When you think you're done, step back and nod your approval.  Then mix it some more.

.jpg   aloaf5.JPG (Size: 51.66 KB / Downloads: 38)

Next, mix in the diced onion a little bit at a time.  Same song, second verse.  Mix it with your cleanly washed bare hands until you're satisfied and then mix it some more.

.jpg   aloaf6.JPG (Size: 54.35 KB / Downloads: 36)

Now, do the same with the spices that you've already combined by measuring and shaking them together in a small container.  A bit at a time, mix, a bit more, mix ...

.jpg   aloaf7.JPG (Size: 60.05 KB / Downloads: 35)

Now you're ready to add some of the bread crumbs, some of the egg, and some of the milk.  Still singin' the same tune:  A bit of each at a time, then mix by hand ...

.jpg   aloaf8.JPG (Size: 60.67 KB / Downloads: 34)

After you've included the Worcestershire sauce with three thorough mixings of about a tablespoon each, fashion that meaty glob into two equal sized loaves and place them in a couple of ungreased baking dishes.  They're ready for basting with your favorite barbecue sauce.  Currently my fav is Stubb's Original, but we had an open bottle of Biemer's Regular sauce, so I used that.

.jpg   aloaf9.JPG (Size: 53.65 KB / Downloads: 33)

The pre-cooked, basted result:

.jpg   aloaf10.JPG (Size: 52.37 KB / Downloads: 32)
I like people who are good cookers.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
Bake 'em uncovered at 350 degrees for 90 minutes.  Here's what they look like straight out of the oven:

.jpg   aloaf12.JPG (Size: 56.49 KB / Downloads: 18)

Here's what they look like sliced:

.jpg   aloaf13.JPG (Size: 63.79 KB / Downloads: 18)

Here's what it looks like on my plate with a baked potato:

.jpg   aloaf14.JPG (Size: 60.5 KB / Downloads: 18)

Wrap the remainder in foil for freezing future entrees:

.jpg   aloaf15.JPG (Size: 56.13 KB / Downloads: 18)

We scored an evening meal plus four future entrees of four slices each plus three leftover slices for sandwiches:

.jpg   aloaf16.JPG (Size: 60.75 KB / Downloads: 18)

And now ye may rest, sayeth the Betty, but not until you clean up the kitchen.
That looks yummy!

You should try some brown gravy over the meatloaf - delish!

I use Stove Top Stuffing in place of the bread crumbs and some of the other seasonings. I think the recipe is on their box.
"Some people have a way with words. Others...oh...not have way." - Steve Martin