Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Hayden dead
I take note of the passing of Tom Hayden, 60s activist.  He helped form the organization Students for a Democratic Society or SDS.  He was arrested and convicted for inciting riots outside the Chicago Democratic Convention, convictions that were reversed on appeal.  Later, he became a state legislator in California.

As someone who grew up during those times, I just wanted to mention that it was people like him who influenced my thinking early in my life.  And I wanted to contrast his influence with someone like Alinsky, who is often mentioned in this forum but had little to no influence on me or anyone, really, that I spoke to in the late 60s and into the 70s.  

Hayden was a few years older than I.  I saw him take trips to N. Vietnam during the height of the protests against that war.  Whether you agreed with those trips or not, he was a real person taking real political positions that people my age could relate to.  

Alinsky on the other hand was already an older man, soon to die during the same year as one of Hayden's trips to N. Vietnam.  If I had known Alinsky's name, if I had known who he was or if I had read his book, I'm not certain he would have influenced my emerging political philosophy.  

I've become aware of Alinsky in the years since.  But I always knew of Hayden.
Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Iamme1's post:
  •
Viet Nam era veterans are well aware of Mr. Hayden and his once upon-a-time wife Hanoi Jane.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BornAgainAmerican's post:
  •
It's likely that Alinsky may have influenced our parents' generation rather than ours or those after us.

My father was born about the same time as Alinsky, and lived through the Depression and WWII.  He, like many other intellectuals of the time, was attracted to the ideals of communism.
"As someone who grew up during those times, I just wanted to mention that it was people like him who influenced my thinking early in my life."

I'm sorry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Agent99's post:
  • BornAgainAmerican
I remember as a little kid asking my mom the day the news showed her on the NVA tank, why she was doing that---her and all of them smiling with them and stuff----weren't those the ones killing all our soldiers? She just said 'shame on her' and expressed her shock at it all and left it at that. Anyone who supported her, Tom Hayden, Abby Hoffman or Alinsky is now (unless they've changed like David Horowitz) are the problem today, 45 years later.
  • BornAgainAmerican
The weather underground and the Black Panthers pretty much declared war on the United States in the 60s.  There were other groups like SLA, SDS etc.  But members of these radical groups somehow managed to escape prosecution for bombings and cop killings and become professors in higher education.  They've infiltrated our universities, school systems and higher echelons of government to form the re-education camps proposed by Bill Ayers and his buds in the 1960s.  It's been said that America will fall from within.  It's looking more and more like these radicals have succeeded.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BornAgainAmerican's post:
  •
That's exactly the method of these nuts, infest every social institution and chew away from within. Most of their philosophy is rooted in Stalin and Mao who murdered millions and millions.
  • BornAgainAmerican
'Member Eric "Machine Gun" Holder dropping the New Black Panther's voter intimidation case? There was one of our first clues of what we'd suspected of Barry Hussein Obummer and his band of Chicago thugs. Right up to Lo-Renta meeting with The Horny Hillbilly on a private jet on a Phoenix runway to "discuss" stuff. Couple days later---WHAM! Comey lets Shrilly off the hook. Now it seems the latest pay-to-play has come into play with long time Clinton friend Terry McCauliffe and his wife who was running for a congressional seat in a half million dollar donation scheme that has corruption slathered all over it. The Clinton and DNC corruption just goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and.......
  • BornAgainAmerican
Precisely what effect on our Democracy did Jane Fonda and Tom Hayden have? Especially Fonda. She's been hated by the far right since the 60's... and I remember that they seemed totally afraid of her - that she was going to, in some way, ruin America.

Then in the 60's and 70's the Middle Class suddenly had a future and a present... a good life... hope for their children's futures... and I remember one day hearing people on TV calling her all kinds of ugly and I wondered... but what was the actual damaging effect of her belief and actions?

Jane Fonda never changed me or mine. And I doubt she changed anybody. My guess is that she may have brought out the thoughts and beliefs of others who already believed as she did but had never expressed it before.

She stood for something. She believed in something and she worked for it. 

That made her a thousand times more honest than the snarky people who vented hatred at her. 

That was during my Sunday School teaching, baby-delivering, snotty-nose wiping, poopy diaper changing days.  I was likely pretty much more right than left; but I was honest with myself and I didn't understand the vitriol I heard from some people. She was an American with the same rights as all other Americans to express her beliefs openly without being jailed or crucified for them. 

People who exercise their right to free speech and to their personal opinions and don't get shirt for it in America are the proof that we are what we are.... free.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
Surprised you need to ask Desk.  Here's a link for your reading pleasure.  Many of us view her as a friggin' traitor to this day.

https://patriotpost.us/pages/80