Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In Support of Globalism
Globalism  (GLOH-buh-liz-uh m) 
Noun: the attitude or policy of placing the interests of the entire world above those of individual nations.

Globalism is a great philosophy.  Its accomplishment is a worthy goal.  Pursuing achievement of a true globalist society is the best route for mankind to follow.  Initiating globalist policies, instead of favoring exclusionary and divisive national or factional goals, offers the best and fastest opportunity to advance as a species.  Here's why:

A living organism is a marvelous thing.  Most of them consist of millions or billions of cells comprising a variety of support systems designed to accomplish a common purpose: Maintain and nurture the host organism so that it may grow and thrive and evolve.  When an organism's cells work cooperatively, the stronger and more developed that organism becomes.  Take, for example, your own well being.  If you enact behaviors that damage, say, your respiratory system, such as smoking or living within a polluted air zone, your respiration will ultimately be harmed by those effects, and that, in turn, will affect all of your other systems.  It's all connected.  Countless atoms in countless cells depend upon countless interactions to keep your systems, and ultimately you, alive and viable. 

That's you and me, compadre.  Each of us is a bunch of virtually countless atoms of countless cells comprising numerous interactive systems.  Ramp it up one notch and we are each just one virtually countless being within an interactive system.  How well the system works depends upon how well we maintain it.   Just as one can't eat a healthy diet, but still chain-smoke cigarettes and expect to stay healthy, we cannot expect policies that favor some world citizens but harm others to do anything but eventually harm us all.

We are all in this together, like it or not.  We are not yet to the point where we can accomplish global equality.  That will take centuries, but it must be the ultimate goal.  Tribalism and nationalism are merely cells within an interactive system, cells that need nurturing so that they may interact and support each other for the greater good of the whole organism.

I'll go so far as to say Planet Earth is a cell within the vast organism of the universe.  Everything is connected.  Perhaps the universe is merely a cell within an even vaster organism.  Learning math in grade school, one of my classmates asked the teacher what was the largest number.  The teacher said to think of the largest number you could imagine and then add the number 'one' to it.  The point being there is nothing but infinity.

One can be an American patriot and a globalist at the same time.  We must be mindful to preserve and protect freedom while striving to respect the freedoms and traditions of all world citizens.  Sometimes it will be necessary to favor nationalism in order to stay on the path to the ultimate goal of globalism.  But make no mistake; Globalism is the goal that will lead to Universalism that will lead to ...

Some quotes on the subject:

“Use the talents you’ve developed to create goodwill, to ease the burdens of those who are not
 as fortunate and to seek truth humbly, without insisting that you hold the only keys to it.”
Laura Burroughs

“Inequality and poverty, unhealth and no wealth are hand in hand. 
And if we are all born equal that should be true in all lands. 
We cannot divide the world between poor and rich countries. 
It's like saying the ones are good, the others are junkies. 
That can only increase more prejudice, miseries and sorrow. 
Turning the wheel today it will lead to a better tomorrow.”
Ana Claudia Antunes

"The only real nation is humanity."
Paul Farmer

"When Socrates was asked where he came from, he said that he was a citizen of the world. He regarded himself 
as a citizen of the universe."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

"We must ensure that the global market is embedded in broadly shared values and practices that reflect 
global social needs, and that all the world's people share the benefits of globalization.”
Kofi Annan

[-] The following 1 user Likes rockchalker52's post:
  • Jessamine
Quote:Globalism is a great philosophy.  Its accomplishment is a worthy goal.  Pursuing achievement of a true globalist society is the best route for mankind to follow.  Initiating globalist policies, instead of favoring exclusionary and divisive national or factional goals, offers the best and fastest opportunity to advance as a species.  Here's why:

Umh...seems like the fastest opportunity to lose one's head given today's global radical Islamic terrorism.  I'd appreciate it if you didn't force your globalism on the rest of us.  Most of the world ain't ready for your highly nuanced and erudite bubble just yet.  Let it evolve according to Darwin.  Don't you boys and girls believe in Darwin? 
...and how well did Jimmy Carter's globalism work?
Reread it, BAA.  Where did I mention it was supposed to happen in the next ten minutes?  It's a philosophy of which to be mindful, to takes actions that will ultimately accomplish it.  That's what's in your best interest.
I had a world-traveling friend who died in 2014. He studied philosophers in his spare time. 

One thing about him that stood out to me was the way he laughed at patriotism... my country, right or wrong... 

Worshiping the flag, deifying the leader to some degree, saying you're proud to be an American... shirt like that. 

I will say I'm blessed (or lucky) to have been born here and not some other places, though. 

The point in question is... does it harm us economically to govern as if it is a one-world economy?  Or should we govern as if we have an economic wall around us, for the purpose of keeping us from being harmed by other country's decisions. 

And there is no simple answer, but I believe the truth lies somewhere to the left of center. 

Every action has a reaction. 

Everything we do regarding the economy causes a reaction somewhere else in the world. That reaction can damn well hurt us. 

Even back in the beginning of this country we were not able to isolate ourselves from the world economically. That's a pipe dream that has no connection to reality. If we're smart, we'll play with the ball fate gave us.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
[-] The following 2 users Like PleaseReportToTheFrontDesk's post:
  • Riverdrifter, rockchalker52
(02-13-2017, 07:49 PM)rockchalker52 Wrote: Reread it, BAA.  Where did I mention it was supposed to happen in the next ten minutes?  It's a philosophy of which to be mindful, to takes actions that will ultimately accomplish it.  That's what's in your best interest.

Quote: to takes actions that will ultimately accomplish it

Reread my comment RC.  I specifically requested that it not be forced on the rest of us.  Let it evolve dude.
Quote:Everything we do regarding the economy causes a reaction somewhere else in the world. That reaction can damn well hurt us. 

Even back in the beginning of this country we were not able to isolate ourselves from the world economically. That's a pipe dream that has no connection to reality. If we're smart, we'll play with the ball fate gave us.

Yep, everything we don't do regarding the economy can hurt us as well...like letting other countries take advantage of us in trade.  Pretty sure you had a plan before you retired or you'd be looking for a job right now.  Kinda' the same thing can happen to a nation if they always give away the farm in trade deals as the US has done in the past.
(02-13-2017, 10:30 PM)BornAgainAmerican Wrote: Yep, everything we don't do regarding the economy can hurt us as well...like letting other countries take advantage of us in trade.  Pretty sure you had a plan before you retired or you'd be looking for a job right now.  Kinda' the same thing can happen to a nation if they always give away the farm in trade deals as the US has done in the past.

Do you have one example you can point out where we've been giving away the farm in trade deals lately?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
Wouldn't the EU be something of a scaled version of globalism?  The fact that in times of crisis, they seem to revert back their old world ways, us vs. them, would indicate we have a long way to go before we forget who we are and where we came from and become one big happy human family.  

I guess I'd be in favor of globalism in the same way I'd be in support of Liberty's libertarianism, looks great on a sheet of paper, not so good in practice.
Ask not what your country can do for you but what you can do for your country.  
[-] The following 1 user Likes Iamme1's post:
  • BornAgainAmerican
We don't have to forget who we are or where we came from in order to get along with other people.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jafs3's post:
  • rockchalker52