Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A fictional cop's perspective
Don Winslow is one of my all-time favorite novelists.  He can craft a story, build suspense, and draw you into his fictional worlds as well as anyone I've ever read.  To date I've read the following list of his books:
  • 1991: A Cool Breeze on the Underground (Neal Carey Mysteries)

• 1992: The Trail to Buddha's Mirror (Neal Carey Mysteries)

• 1993: Way Down on the High Lonely (Neal Carey Mysteries)

• 1994: A Long Walk Up the Water Slide (Neal Carey Mysteries)

• 1996: While Drowning in the Desert (Neal Carey Mysteries)

• 1997: The Death and Life of Bobby Z

• 1999: California Fire and Life

• 2008: The Dawn Patrol (Boone Daniels Series)

• 2009: The Gentlemen's Hour (Boone Daniels Series)

• 2010: Savages[9]

• 2011: Satori

• 2015: The Cartel  (purchased but not yet read)

• 2017: The Force (currently reading)
It is his latest effort "The Force" and, within it, a fictional cop's outlook about guns on the street that made me think the following excerpt would make a good topic for our Lundy readership to consider.  Be advised there is a small amount of 'language' involved:

"Guns and dope are the soup and sandwich of American crime.  As much as the Job is obsessed with heroin, it's more obsessed with getting guns off the street.  And for good reason - it's the cops who have to deal with the murders, the wounded, cops who have to tell the families, work with them, try to get them some justice.  

And, of course, it's guns on the street that kill cops.  

The NRA assholes will tell you that "guns don't kill people, people do."  Yeah, Malone thinks, people with guns.

Sure, you have stabbings, you have fatal beatings, but without guns the homicide figures would be negligible.  And most of the congressional whores who go to their NRA meeting smelling nice and wearing something frilly have never seen a gunshot homicide or even a person who's been shirt.  

Cops have.  Cops do.  

It ain't pretty.  It don't look or sound (or smell) anything like in the movies.  These asshats who think that the answer is to arm eveeryone so they could, for instance, shoot it out in a dark theater have never had a gun pointed at them and would sh*t themselves if they did.  

They say it's all about the Second Amendment and individual rights but what it's about is the money.  The gun manufacturers, who make up the vast bulk of the NRA's funding, want to sell guns and make their cash.  

End of motherfucking story.

New York City has the strictest gun laws in the country but that doesn't make any difference because all the guns come from the out side up the "Iron Pipeline."  Dealers make straw purchases in states with weak gun laws - Texas, Arizona, Alabama, the Carolinas - and then bring them up I-95 to the cities of the Northeast and New England.  

The goobers love to talk about crime in the big cities, Malone thinks, but either don't know or don't care that the guns come from their states.  

To date, at least four New York cops have been killed with guns that came up the Iron Pipeline.  

Not to mention the corner boys and the bystanders.  

The mayor's office, the department, everyone is desperate to get guns off the streets.  The job is even buying them back - a no-questions-asked cash-and-gift-card offer: you bring in your guns, we smile at you and give you $200 bank cards for handguns and assault rifles and $25 for rifles, shotguns and BB guns.

The last buyback, at the church over on 129th and Adam Clayton Powell, netted forty-eight revolvers, seventeen semiautomatic pistols, three rifles, a shotgun and an AR-15.

Malone has no problem with it.  Guns off the streets are guns off the streets, and guns off the streets help a cop achieve job number one - go home at the end of shift.  One of the old hairbags taught him that when he first came on the Job - your first job is to go home at the end of shift."
- Don Winslow

What's your take on this fictional cop's take about the perils of guns on the street?
I would love to believe it, but every cop I ever talk to... online or anywhere... defends gun rights and votes for Trump.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
(07-28-2017, 01:39 PM)PleaseReportToTheFrontDesk Wrote: I would love to believe it, but every cop I ever talk to... online or anywhere... defends gun rights and votes for Trump.

I can only think you haven't talked to many cops-there are many liberal and moderate leaning cops out there. Topeka is certainly not a good example of that however. The 2nd Amendment should be defended.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
exactly. There should be gun rights. There should be deep background checks on new purchases. There should be uniform laws - federall gubbamint involvement. And there should be routine gun buy backs. Make the Iron Pipeline an historical note, like the Underground Railroad.

I don't care about a policeman's attitude - I gotta believe that they want the guns off the street, too. Go home at end of shift.  Policing is a tuff job. Never mind the setting - college town, or big city. Help the police to help themselves and we help ourselves.
No replies to subterranean posters for 1 days and counting
[-] The following 1 user Likes susnus's post:
  • Jessamine
Sounds to me like Desk is the only one here that's talked to cops.  Sure, there may be a few who think like this fictional cop, but rest assured that 99% of cops will tell you to buy a gun and learn how to use it safely.  I know cops and every one of them that I know will tell you this.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BornAgainAmerican's post:
  • MediaLiesMatter
What we have here is the white to bear arms.  BullWayne La Pierre will tell us to get guns and God ordained it and we should be armed so we can defend ourselves from.......something.  Unless.  And if you fall into the unless zone you don't count.  If you are black and have a gun under the second amendment and qualify for conceal you may be shirt dead for being black.  It happens.  We most certainly live in a country in which color dictates your rights as spelled out in the constitution.  The ten amendments are foremost.  If you are black or brown in 
America, you are not covered as much because of attitudes like agent99 and BAA and KG.
Natural selection will never favor Evangelical misfits

[-] The following 2 users Like autie's post:
  • Jessamine, rockchalker52
Various sites online, including here in Kansas, I have read comments by policemen that have defended 100% free gun buying in this country based on what they say is constitutional... AND almost always, they voted for Trump. I'd say at least a dozen of them over the last ten years. 

I have yet to read one person who says they are or were policemen who stated a different opinion. 

I'd be interested in seeing that. I'd love to think those dozen or so I've read are not representative of most policemen.  I do know that my niece's husband is a Trump voter and a long time Columbus, GA policeman, but I've never asked him about his ideas on gun control.

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
(07-29-2017, 10:37 AM)PleaseReportToTheFrontDesk Wrote: Various sites online, including here in Kansas, I have read comments by policemen that have defended 100% free gun buying in this country based on what they say is constitutional... AND almost always, they voted for Trump. I'd say at least a dozen of them over the last ten years. 

I have yet to read one person who says they are or were policemen who stated a different opinion. 

I'd be interested in seeing that. I'd love to think those dozen or so I've read are not representative of most policemen.  I do know that my niece's husband is a Trump voter and a long time Columbus, GA policeman, but I've never asked him about his ideas on gun control.

There are upwards of 1.5 million LEOs in the US. To try to neatly pigeon hole someone based on their political beliefs is ridiculous.  
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
(07-29-2017, 11:56 AM)Jessamine Wrote: There are upwards of 1.5 million LEOs in the US. To try to neatly pigeon hole someone based on their political beliefs is ridiculous.  

You're jumping to conclusions. Apparently it bothers you to be told that all the cops I've ever talked to ONLINE have expressed that opinion. It is not saying I think all cops hold the same opinion. However, it's a fact that all the cops I've ever talked to about it online have expressed that opinion. One has to wonder then why the ones who feel differently have never expressed that opinion on the sites I've visited and threads I've participated in on the topic of gun control. 

Those are facts, not conclusions regarding every cop in America.

hey! Desk is just speaking of her experience. Why, some of those dozen or so LEOs have apparently been voting for Trump over the last 10 years.  ;-)
No replies to subterranean posters for 1 days and counting