Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The United States of Earth
If I were so inclined, I could pull up roots and move to anywhere in the country.  I could vacay anywhere I want in America.  No passport or visa required.  All I would need are the resources I've earned by my own responsible behavior.  That's the way it ought to be worldwide.  Borders should only exist as geographical reference points.  

There is only one people.  They're called humans.  Our irrelevant differences, and they are all irrelevant, exist only because of geographical differences in origin.  The concept of geo-political borders, for centuries, has only exacerbated inequality and hindered advancements in civilization.

We shouldn't need a wall on the Mexican border.  We shouldn't even need the border.  We need a United States of Earth.  We could start slowly with the United States of the Western Hemisphere.  If you're from Mexico, you can call it Estados Unidos de Hemisferio Occidental.  Think of it.  Go where you want.  Live where you want.  Work where you want.  Lift the restrictions and the economics will take care of itself.

It'll take centuries, if not millennia, to accomplish that, to break down the ingrained prideful dogma that places nations over people.  But you're either for equality throughout humanity or you're not.  Do it on the other half of the globe first if you want.  It doesn't matter.  Once it were to happen, the other hemisphere would follow suit. 

The United States of Earth.  Or as they would say in France, Aux Etats Unis de la Terre.
[-] The following 1 user Likes rockchalker52's post:
  • Jessamine
If you are living at the poverty level here in the U.S., you are in the top 13% of the world.  

If we did as you suggest, it may well take thousands of years for things to even themselves out.  In the short term, you're talking massive upheavals.  Wars, famine, you name it.  And for you and I personally, we'd be talking about a catastrophic collapse in everything we value.  And no, by value I don't mean just financial.  Say goodbye to freedom of speech, freedom of religion.  Say goodbye to the Constitution, all of it.  

How many humans are there on Earth?  Do as you suggest and we can cut that in half and then cut it in half again.  And again and again.  And again and again.  

United States of Earth???  What you been smokin' Willis?
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."   George Orwell    
Which religion would make the laws?

Who would collect the taxes to pay for roads, bridges, and public schools?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
(08-31-2017, 03:04 PM)PleaseReportToTheFrontDesk Wrote: Which religion would make the laws?

Who would collect the taxes to pay for roads, bridges, and public schools?

No religion should make the laws. RCs post didn't say anything about destroying governments. Certainly, the way we do it now would have to change dramatically.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jessamine's post:
  • rockchalker52
No borders means millions coming over the border, more than any law enforcement can control.  When 50,000 people knock on my door and tell me my stuff would look good in their possession, and me not being one of those Second Amendment types, well all I can say is I hope they enjoy my stuff.  If you are one of those Second Amendment types, you'll kill a few dozen before they overwhelm you and your stuff becomes their stuff anyway.   And damn straight some of them will consider your teenage daughter your property, er, I mean their property.  Some of them will give you the option of worshiping their God or having your head removed from the rest of your body.  

No borders.   Big Grin  Big Grin Big Grin  Had me thinking you were serious for a second there RC52.
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."   George Orwell    
I am serious. You are making too many assumptions. I'll  get back to you about that in a while.
Desk, religion wouldn't have anything to do with it except for the freedom to practice whichever one you wish, wherever you wish.

Iamme, I'm not advocating for an immediate decree, a disbanding of world governments where suddenly there are no restrictions on anyone anywhere.  I'm advocating for an end to tribalism.  There is only one tribe.  Paco and Hank and Fyodor and Hakim are all members of it.  They just live in different places.  

National and international policy by all governments should strive for global equality as their primary objective.  As far as taxes and laws, think in terms of states' rights.  When in Rome ... 

People should be free to go wherever and whenever, and do whatever.  We're not there yet, but public policy in every corner of the globe should use that as their prime directive.  

My tribe ain't better than your tribe.  It's the same friggin' tribe.  Humanity needs to start thinking in terms of evolving that way.
They closed down the Hastings in Bartlesville.  I don't think there is a Borders down there.  I think I need a caffeinated beverage.
Natural selection will never favor Evangelical misfits

(08-31-2017, 03:10 PM)Jessamine Wrote: No religion should make the laws. RCs post didn't say anything about destroying governments. Certainly, the way we do it now would have to change dramatically.

I know that. I was simply imagining what might happen.

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
RC: "My tribe ain't better than your tribe.  It's the same friggin' tribe.  Humanity needs to start thinking in terms of evolving that way."

If only we could do that. 

Thinking about it opens up all manner of ideas for me... some bad and some good... but if it succeeded it'd be great.  I'm not sure mankind could handle it though.  Tribalism seems almost built into human genetics.

Back in the very beginning of time there were no countries. But only if humans developed in different places at the same time would there have been tribes in the very beginning. 

I bet it didn't take two weeks for man to start dividing up and taking sides.