Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fund Drive
OK, we will need to be getting a better server around the new year.  

I have dealt with a company called CyberWurx for a long time running servers to make money.  They have a good plan for us at $24/month.  It's short on ram by a little but they often run specials which aren't one-year, you keep the lower prive forever.  This is professional hosting, as opposed to gator hosting which is for hobbys.  Whether we stay on mybb or go to phpbb or better yet vbulliten.

Vbulliten will work better if you want to access the site via your phone or tablet, plus free lifetime support and a better experience on your computer.

RC and I will decide what to do, but now is the time to start raising funds.  Use our link to go to amazon and buy something nice, or you can simply donate via paypal.  The links are at the bottom of the pages.  I will also take donations of bitcoin.  I will get the donation address for bitcoin up soon.  Bitcoin will better protect your anonymity.

While hostgator is cool for vanity sites, I think we should be on a pro server with pro software to prevent the idiotic foul ups and the 6pm surprises that keep me up until 3 making sure you know we arent dead.

If you are inclined to help, please do so.    We will be sort of on a fund drive until december so this thread will be stickied.
Winner.
Winner.

Chicken Dinner.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Liberty's post:
  • Jessamine
VPS unmanaged .. I take it is your pick. Yah, hostgator has gone to the lowest expedient service model. Still better that GoDaddy. 

Vbull please!  there are so many mods and addons and its the grandaddy of bulletin boards. And like you say, it is so accessible and so feature laden, with a thriving community, not to mention its active support staff. 

Gotta pay to play the best way. Stability. And a long history of demonstrated support for what works.  Constantly in development and evolving with the new features of CMSs into the best CMS for online communities - small to large.

but oh noES!!! pleadge drive. The FALL pledge DRIVE!!

i'll put up a quarter [$25] thru paypal for this month. and next month. and on and on ..

oh cool! Atlanta. better than Dallas and just as close in terms of ping/data packet routing without the hellhole of the Texas tangled networks.
One cannot live with sighted eyes and feeling heart and not know or react to the miseries which afflict this world. Lorraine Hansberry
The pledges are coming in.  Thank you.

My ideas for the upgrade are as follows

https://cyberwurx.com/vps-hosting/unmana...s-hosting/

VPS-1  

https://www.vbulletin.com/en/features/

vbulletin connect /mobile.

Vbul is expensive.  As a backup, we have phpbb, which has styles that are responsive (different format for cell phones).

https://www.phpbb.com/

We currently run MyBB which has a less modern codebase.  

We have a large database which will cost about $100 to have migrated from one system to the other whether we go to phpbb or vbul.

Also, as you may have noticed in our blackout last week, we have two new subdomains, one as maintenance page and a backup board.  I set those up spur of the moment, but we'll keep them going forward.  You can post at the backup forum at forum.lawrenceunderground.com anytime or see the error page at backup.lawrenceunderground.com.  If the host has problems again, I'll redirect to the backup site quicker.

It has been my experience that when you time out, it usually is a network problem or a server problem.   Most of the time the network errors will fix themselves pretty quickly.  

We appreciate your support, and will fill in the rest as needed.  Our objective is to put you on a world class board with 99.99% uptime.  We are also now better prepared for that .01% downtime with backup sites on two other different servers.
Winner.
Winner.

Chicken Dinner.

Almost forgot

Winner.
Winner.

Chicken Dinner.

Sus, Hosting and domain name run about $300 a year.  However, we will certainly put all of your generous offer towards vBulliten.
Winner.
Winner.

Chicken Dinner.

(10-07-2017, 11:12 AM)Liberty Wrote: Sus, Hosting and domain name run about $300 a year.  However, we will certainly put all of your generous offer towards vBulliten.

Please let us know if you need more as we go along.
May you build a ladder to the stars
And climb on every rung
You're too kind.It's not all that expensive.  The costs are pretty well fixed and low. 

There are two unusual costs, that is purchasing professional software and the second is rental of the database migration tool.  It comes to like a one time expense of $500ish.   I think mobile will give us a big boost.
Winner.
Winner.

Chicken Dinner.

Mobile would be pretty awesome.
i get the pull of "going mobile", but as a long time sitter in front of a pc, theys just nuttin like it.

oh, I like your temp page, Lib. Quite the rock n roll star you are. And the little touches ..

the broken config, with its linked page.

make your internet experience shine. TOO FUNNY!

http://backup.lawrenceunderground.com/
One cannot live with sighted eyes and feeling heart and not know or react to the miseries which afflict this world. Lorraine Hansberry
Nother $25 sent to you, Lib.  maybe sticky this thread.

oh, no wonder I couldn't find it - it was already stickied 8)