Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Poll: Ever own a muscle car?
Nope, never did
Yeah, I owned one
I've owned more than one
or this: see comments
[Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Muscle Cars
Did you ever own a classic American muscle car?

1968 AMC Javelin

1969 Chevy Camaro Z28

1970 Chevy Chevelle SS 454

1968 Dodge Coronet 426 Hemi Super Bee

1970 Dodge Charger

1966 Pontiac GTO

1968 Pontiac Firebird

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429
Does this count?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

[-] The following 3 users Like Prospector's post:
  • Jessamine, PleaseReportToTheFrontDesk, rockchalker52
Back in high school one of the guys I used to pal around with was less than graceful.  Coordinated he was not.  Never did see him walking & chewing gum at the same time.  A mutual buddy of ours was the proud owner of a 1966 Pontiac GTO.  It had bucket seats, 4 on the floor, and whatever kickass sized V8 engine that GM used to stick in those things.  Graceful used to bug the GTO guy relentlessly for a chance to drive it.  One time, the GOAT owner was whining to us that he never could seem to get the speed shifting down pat, that he always ended up grinding the gears or missing a shift entirely & tach-ing it waay over the redline.

Well, Graceful saw his chance.  "C'mon, man!  Lemme drive it & I'll show ya how it's done," he said.  

The GOATer finally relented.  "You can speed shift?" he asked.  "Cool!  You gotta show me!"

So they switched seats & Graceful got ready to roar while the two of us in the back seat anticipated nuthin' but tranny parts & U-joints strewn along the highway.  It didn't happen.  Graceful double clutched & speed shifted that beautiful car to perfection.  It was like he was the Michael Jordan of motor sports and the Pele of Pontiac-ing rolled into one.  The guy could barely walk a straight line without a primer, but draggin' a 4-speed down the highway, there weren't many better.
Good story, RC.  He had hidden talents. 

I had a Mustang but don't even remember the year it was, nor which years I owned it. Too many years ago to parse it all. But I doubt it was one of the special Mustangs.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
First. No.
"For if man has lost his freedom, and is forced to serve sin, and cannot will good, what conclusion can more justly be drawn concerning him, than that he sins and wills evil necessarily" - Martin Luther.
From 2010 to 2015, I had a 2007 Monte Carlo SS (definitely a modern muscle car).  These had the 5.3L LS4 engine in them.  A >300hp, V8 paired with front wheel drive created a lot of torque steer when taking off, but it was fast.  I never found out where it governed out, but the fastest I did have it was 135mph with plenty left to go (this was back during the flood and I-29 was closed... we were forced to take 75 up to Nebraska, and with 29 closed, all the semis were on 75 also.  This meant that when you had a chance to pass a line of semis, you took it or you might not get another chance for 20 miles.  Even my wife would excitedly ask how fast we got to on these passes when usually she would be scared to death).
I knew a guy in high school that had a fast Camaro.  Riding with him, I notice a toggle switch on his console.  I asked what it did and he responded ass-saver.   The switch cut all power to the tail and brake lights.  Cops couldn't follow what they can't see.
Shoot fire in  high school and first years of college I had me a handme down 1961 Ford Galaxie twi door sedan with a sweet six banger 283 and a three on the tree.  I could whip that baby up to close to 80 mph if I had some downhill grade and it was nice and straight.
Natural selection will never favor Evangelical misfits

Technically, Mustangs, Camaros, Firebirds and Javelins were pony cars.  The only exception would be something like the early 70s mustangs with big blocks, and maybe that 455SD TA.

There are only three production sports cars in America, the vette the viper and the gt.

I like the mid 60s chevelles for muscle cars.
Winner.
Winner.

Chicken Dinner.