Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
when stuff was cheap
UNDER THE STREET - Wednesday, the 27th.  Mikey sez Happy Birthday to Shari & Gayle.
asked under the current rate of inflation, whatever that is

What's the cheapest price you can remember on ... well, on anything?  albums? eggs? ammo? beer? cars? houses? crackerjacks?  anything at all.

.jpg   aprice2.jpg (Size: 34.15 KB / Downloads: 83)       
Did you ever pay these kind of prices for gasoline?

Griff's Burger Stand.  What's the lowest price you can remember for a hamburger?

.jpg   aprice4.jpg (Size: 60.68 KB / Downloads: 82)
Can you remember what was the lowest coinage needed for a pack of smokes?
Let's see here.  I recall a case of beer (Coors) and ten pounds of ice, all loaded in your ice chest by the attendant at the ice dock for $6.  Ten cent hamburgers at a local lunch counter.  .25 cent draws at the beer joint.  .35 cent cigarettes that we smoked in the garage.  Dove loads for the .20 gauge around $1.89 a box.  .22 LR box of 50 for .69 cents.
Natural selection will never favor Evangelical misfits

In 1978 Made $2 an hour working for a rich farmer every Saturday. I’d take $16 to town in my ‘66 Ford pick up, put $5 in tank (about 10 gal.) and pack of Salem lights—-.55 cents, a quarter red bud @ $5 a 6 pack and still nuff for burger and fries.
“God Hillary should win 100,000,000 – 0,” -Peter Strzok

I remember paying 18.9 cents/gal.  Not quite old enough for the above prices.

I worked as a maintenance man/Lifeguard at a church camp for $1.25/hr.  Pretty good wages back then for a high school kid who didn't no nuthin'.
At the beginning of 2013, you could get a run of the mill round receiver Mosin Nagant from Classic Firearms for $89.  Now it is hard to find them for under $250.
I remember 10 cent comic books & a double issue was only 15 cents.  Then the singles went up to 12 cents & then 15 cents & the doubles went up to 25 cents.  I'm thinkin' Mad Magazine might've only been a quarter at one point, but maybe it was 40 cents.

During most of my youngster days gasoline was between 25 cents & 35 cents a gallon.  I do remember when all the gas stations on all the corners of 19th & Massachusetts Streets had a gas war & the price got as low as 17 cents.  That's the lowest I can remember it in my lifetime.  Riggs Conoco was on the SW corner & that's where our family always traded.  Richard Riggs was the proprietor, a great guy.  He sorta reminded me of Walter Brennan but with a better temperament.  He'd wash your windows, check your oil & gauge your tire pressures with every fill-up.

A pack of smokes was less than 50 cents as I recall, until ... the mid 80's?  I know at one point you could drop a dime & a quarter in a vending machine & come away with a pack of cigs.  

A small cone from the DQ was a nickel.  You could have it dipped in chocolate for another nickel.  The big sized milkshake was 50 cents & a Dilly Bar was a dime.  The Buster Bar was 25 cents & a small sundae was 35 cents.  This was about 1968-70.

Kraft Dinner Mac & Cheese was ... what, about 15 cents a box?
We were still in New Orleans so it had to be in the early 70's or late 60's. 

A dollar a gallon for gas

How about ten cents for a box of Cracker Jacks? And I remember buying the only box of CJ I've ever bought. I was in 3rd grade (maybe 1949). I had worked on the weekend picking cotton. At the end of the first row I has lost my desire to get rich picking cotton. The gin mill truck was parked under a live oak tree at the end of the rows. I handed my child sized cotton sack, full of cotton, to the gin mill man. He weighed the sack, tossed the cotton into the back of the truck, and weighed the sack again. He subtracted the weight of the sack from the first number and handed me ten cents. Monday, my cousin and I snuck off campus and went to a store a block away. We bought a box of Cracker Jacks with the ten cents.

When we got back to school "they" were waiting for us. We went to the principal's office and stood, heads down, in front of his desk. He leaned back and put his feet up on the desk. They were very long feet. I almost giggled when I saw them because his name was Mr. Long. 

He smiled at us. Asked why we did that. We told him. He got up and patted me on the head. "I like people who work," he said, "but YOU can't leave campus again. Understand?"

We said, "Yes'sir."

And that was the end of it.

Cousin, CiCi, and I took turns wearing the CJ ring until one of us lost it. It wasn't me. 

I'm sure if I twist my memory up into little balls I could remember the prices of other things back then. After we left the farm and went to New Orleans when I was 8 years old my mother often sent me down bayou road to the grocery store to buy Camel cigs and BC Headache powders. I did that a lot. But the prices won't come back to me.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.
But I do remember wages. I worked before my senior year in 1959 as a waitress. They paid me 30 cents an hour plus tips. Ten hours a day; six days a week. 30 minutes for lunch. No breaks. I saved $300 that summer which is about $2500 now. That's a memory I'm proud of.

If I don't answer when you talk to me or about me, that's likely because I have you on ignore.  Try to PM me. It won't let you PM me if I have you on ignore. There are other people, not members, who peruse this site. I want THEM to know why I don't reply to everyone who talks to or about me.

It's possible to become so defiled in this world that your own father and mother will abandon you, and if that happens, God will always believe in your ability to mend your ways.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Spacehog's post:
  • PleaseReportToTheFrontDesk
You have a great memory, RC.