Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Racism 101
Since apparently we still need threads like this in 2018. 

Colorblindness does not end racism: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...ot-helping

Quote:People love to tell me that they often forget that I’m black. They say this with a sort of “a-ha!” look on their faces, as if their dawning ability to see my blackness was a gift to us both.
When I point out that their eyesight had never left them, that my skin has never changed colors, and that they probably did not really forget that I am black, they inevitably get defensive. First, they try to argue that it was a compliment; the smart ones quickly realize that complimenting someone on not being black is actually pretty racist, so they switch gears.
I don’t see race! is usually their next tactic, followed by I am colorblind, though they never give credit to Stephen Colbert. By “colorblind” they don’t actually mean that they can’t see green or red; rather, they are suggesting that they can’t ever be racist, because they don’t register skin color at all.
This ideology is very popular – like a racial utopic version of the Golden Rule – but it’s actually quite racist. “Colorblindness” doesn’t acknowledge the very real ways in which racism has existed and continues to exist, both in individuals and systemically. By professing not to see race, you’re just ignoring racism, not solving it.

Meritocracy and racism: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre...nald-trump

Quote:The fact is, meritocracy is a myth. Social systems that reward through wealth, and which increase inequality, don’t aid social mobility, and people pass on their privilege to their children. The Conservatives have made this situation far worse by raising the inheritance tax threshold. And their reintroduction of grammar schools would involve using extremely narrow educational measures to divide children and to privilege the already privileged (often with the help of expensive private tutors). As the geographer Danny Dorling has said, it is a system of “educational apartheid”.

“Merit” itself, moreover, is a malleable, easily manipulated term. The American scholar Lani Guinier has shown how, in the 1920s, Harvard University curbed the number of Jewish students admitted by stipulating a new form of “merit”: that of “well-rounded character”. A more recent example was supplied by the reality TV filmmaking contest Project Greenlight, in which the white actor Matt Damon repeatedly interrupted black producer Effie Brown to tell her that diversity wasn’t important in film production: decisions, he explained, have to be “based entirely on merit”. This “Damonsplaining” was widely ridiculed on social media (“Can Matt Damon tell me why the caged bird sings?”). But it illustrated how versions of “merit” can be used to ingrain privilege – unlike clear criteria for specific roles, combined with anti-discrimination policies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes chootspa's post:
  • Jessamine
Translation:  All you white peeps just curl up in a corner and be quiet.  Ain't nuthin ya'll can do to unnerstan us.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BornAgainAmerican's post:
  • Agent99
Here's another one for all the white people who don't want to be racists. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/uucollectiv...te-people/
Born Again, there is no reasoning with the inherently miserable. I wish I could tell you different but I can’t.
“God Hillary should win 100,000,000 – 0,” -Peter Strzok
[-] The following 1 user Likes Agent99's post:
  • BornAgainAmerican
You and me are relatively happy (everyone has issues to deal with) like your dad may he Rest In Peace but overall we are happy and financially comfortable and do not invest our time disparaging others.
Some are just unhappy people you can’t change it.
Hillary’s loss to Trump just was the very thing some didn’t need. It has messed with them beyond anyone’s imagination. I feel sorry for them.
(01-09-2018, 07:48 PM)Agent99 Wrote: You and me are relatively happy (everyone has issues to deal with) like your dad may he Rest In Peace but overall we are happy and financially comfortable and do not invest our time disparaging others.

Uh, I don't think so.  You boys spend a great deal of time disparaging others all day long.  ALL DAY LONG.  And given the obvious fact you are both racist, I guess it really doesn't make any difference.  You will never change.  Sad, sad, sad white privilege out of touch, out of step losers in the modern world.
Natural selection will never favor Evangelical misfits

(01-09-2018, 07:48 PM)Agent99 Wrote: You and me are relatively happy (everyone has issues to deal with) like your dad may he Rest In Peace but overall we are happy and financially comfortable and do not invest our time disparaging others.

Maybe you're right A99.  Let the leftroids be unhappy.  President Trump's headed in the right direction, so there's no need to argue about how wrong they are.  Eventually, they'll see exactly how wrong they are.  Only a few of them will remain unhappy after the majority see how things really have improved in a couple of years.  Those few that remain unhappy are hopeless anyhow.
Heart 
(01-09-2018, 07:54 PM)autie Wrote: Uh, I don't think so.  You boys spend a great deal of time disparaging others all day long.  ALL DAY LONG.  And given the obvious fact you are both racist, I guess it really doesn't make any difference.  You will never change.  Sad, sad, sad white privilege out of touch, out of step losers in the modern world.

Whatever autie...hope you feel better soon.