Guests may browse all the site, but only registered users can post in the main forums.
Unregistered users may post in the Free Range Talk Forum

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do you have a soul?
Do you have a soul?  I think conventional wisdom defines your soul as the part of you that survives your death.  I have a different idea, but it is not relevant.  

Each person has to decide for themselves what their soul is, and I figure most of you have it figured out.  My questions is, can you feel your soul?  Can you describe it?  

When the time comes for your body to stop working, what will happen to your soul?  You don't necessarily need to give away your religious beliefs by choosing something specific like "I'll be walking on streets of gold".  You can be as vague as you want or as specific as you want.

Winner.
Winner.

Chicken Dinner.

I have 4 James Brown albums.

James Brown was a wild cat (hopefully not a wildcat- isn't that the other big university in kansas?).

But I think it's a good answer even in jest.  James Brown had soul.  He was as great an entertainer as ever existed.  A human cannot do that without literally giving everything in a performance, including his soul.   That should mean we can get a look at his soul by listening to his music.  I was told by one of the two wisest men I've met that "art is other", which means art is not reality, and I hold that tenant to be true.  But exceptional performers like James Brown have to be the exceptions.  I have been on stage, and what I did was a lie.  I parroted lines and walked over there.  What James Brown did was be James Brown, maybe kicked up a little.  His soul was on stage, as was morrison's, cobain's, joplin's and the rest of the list.  They stood up and shared their souls with us for a while.  Morrison and Cobain were nihilists to a large degree, and the worms have eaten them and their souls died long before they hit the dirt.   Janice Joplin was more spiritual and I think her soul is somewhere hanging out and enjoying itself.

Of course, James Brown is up there entertaining god.   [img]/images/smilies/sad.gif[/img]

Winner.
Winner.

Chicken Dinner.

Everyone & everything is connected.  That's how I see it.  The people we love, the people we don't love, all the creatures we adore along with the ones who frighten or repulse us, it's all connected.  It's one big soul with infinite parts bouncing around in the cosmic mixmaster.  At some unfathomable amount of time from now, it might just all blend together to reach the ultimate harmony. 

"I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together."

UGH !!! thats' not my soul, mate !
"One of the proofs of the immortality of the soul is that myriads have believed it-- they also believed the world was flat."

-Mark Twain

You are the wind beneath my wings, otherwise known as turbulence.
Here's a shortened version of a story I posted once before, either on the zetaboard site or that other local one a lot of us used to frequent; I forget which.  It's about the only reasonably tangible experience I've really had with inter-connectedness, but it's stuck with me.  Over the last 45 years, I've thought about it many times & still haven't reached any conclusions.

When I was a teen I wrecked a car.  More than one, actually, but this wreck was particularly traumatic.  Thank goodness no one was seriously hurt, but the car was totaled & it was my fault & I was devastated.  But traumatic devastation or not, I still had to go to work that evening as a malt jockey at the local DQ.  Business was brisk & the lines were long & thankfully I didn't have much time to dwell on my previous misfortune.  At one point during my shift, this guy I'd never seen before finally reaches his turn at my window (no inside service at the DQ back then) and orders...whatever it was.  Before I served him something compelled me to ask 'Do you know [name of the guy in the other car]?'  The stranger sez 'Yeah, he's my roommate.  Why do you ask?'  I told him his roomie was the other driver in the wreck I had caused & the dude matter-of-factly sez 'Oh, yeah, he mentioned something about that.'  Then he took his purchase & left & I never saw him again.

I'm still perplexed as to why I asked this complete stranger, out of dozens of complete strangers I interacted with that evening, if he knew the other guy in the wreck.  I think it's symptomatic of some level of inter-connection, although it took a stressful situation to heighten my awareness or sensitivity to it.  It's weird, but that's one reason I believe there is more to things than what meets one's everyday eye.